In an 8-page resolution dated June 5, 2018, the Philippine Court of Appeals dismissed the motion for reconsideration and affirmed its earlier decision issued on December 13, 2017 prohibiting Mary Jane Veloso from issuing a testimony against her alleged recruiters from her jail cell in Indonesia through a written deposition. According to the appellate court’s explanation, it would prejudice the rights of Sergio and Lacanilao to confront her and scrutinize her testimony face-to-face.
We now find it ironic that a court in Mary Jane’s own country now seems to be the only hurdle in her pursuit of justice and freedom as she still stands to lose her life. For this reason, Mary Jane’s parents Celia and Cesar Veloso submitted a petition to the Supreme Court of the Philippines on September 3, 2018 to reverse the appellate court’s ruling and allow Mary Jane to give her testimony against her wrongdoers.
Moreover, Mary Jane’s deposition in the Indonesian prison will not infringe the constitutional rights of respondents Sergio and Lacanilao since they have the speedy and adequate remedy of proceeding to trial and cross-examining Mary Jane in the form of written interrogatories.
Mary Jane is the principal complainant in the trafficking case against Cristina Sergio and Julius Lacanilao, the live-in couple who recruited her supposedly for work in Malaysia but was instead deployed to Indonesia.
Evidence presented in Philippine courts established that, among others, Sergio and Lacanilao have no license to recruit anyone for employment abroad. It is also established that they asked and was paid by the Velosos for Mary Jane’s trip and the job offer. Sergio’s records also showed that she has traveled very often to Asian countries several years prior. Likewise, it was proven that it was Sergio who gave Mary Jane the luggage and plane ticket for her trip to Indonesia.
The only evidence that remains to be presented is the testimony of Mary Jane herself. Deposition in Indonesia jail, therefore, is the only available, allowable and practicable mode to officially get Mary Jane’s testimony as she is in jail on death row.
Hence, we once again unite and amplify our voices for Mary Jane. We are calling on the Supreme Court of the Philippines and other authorities to allow her to testify in Indonesia.
We are calling on President Duterte to do everything in his power to let Mary Jane speak the truth if he is really serious in pursuing big international drug trafficking syndicates. Through this, we are one step closer in our quest to finally #SaveMaryJane and bring her home.
As ORGANIZATIONS, send letters, emails or fax messages calling on:
- The Supreme Court of the Philippines to reverse the apellate court’s ruling and allow Mary Jane to give her testimony through written deposition in her prison cell in Indonesia.You may use this letter template: http://bit.ly/2Nb5SrB.
- Philippine President Rodrigo Roa Duterte to exhaust all means to save Mary Jane’s life and pave the way for her to be reunited with her family.
- Indonesian President Joko Widodo to grant Mary Jane Veloso clemency on grounds of a mistrial and for humanitarian reasons. Letters may be coursed through respective Indonesian embassies.
As INDIVIDUALS or GROUPS, you can:
- Sign online petition of Save Mary Jane Alliance: http://bit.ly/2CORaSj.
- Send postcard messages to the Supreme Court by downloading and printing the postcard design from this link: http://bit.ly/2NAkhNE.
- Hold selfie/groufie protests with your support messages and post/send photos at/to: https://www.facebook.com/SaveMJVeloso. Feel free to use this placard design: http://bit.ly/2x2Fy92.
- Conduct information dissemination activities to generate more support for the #SaveMaryJane campaign
Office of the Chief Justice Supreme Court of the Philippines 3rd Floor, New Supreme Court Building Annex, Padre Faura Street, Ermita, Manila City, 1000 Metro Manila, Philippines Telephone (632) 5225090; 5225094 Telefax (632) 5268129 Email email@example.com Office of the President Republic of the Philippines Malacañang Complex J.P. Laurel Street, Telephone : (632)7368645; 7368603; 7368606; 7368629; 7368621 Telefax: (632)7368621 E-mail Address : firstname.lastname@example.org Office of the President Republic of Indonesia Istana Merdeka Jakarta Pusat 10110, Indonesia Telefax: (62) 213864816; 213442233 Email: email@example.com